BeschreibungThe University of Helmstedt, official Latin name: Academia Julia ("Julius University"), was a university in Helmstedt in the Duchy of Brunswick-Wolfenbüttel that existed from 1576 until 1810.Founded by and named after Duke Julius of Brunswick-Wolfenbüttel on October 15, 1576, the first university of the duchy and the first Protestant university of the northern Holy Roman Empire quickly became one of the largest German universities.The Princes of Wolfenbüttel held the office of the rector, starting with Julius' 12-year-old son John Henry.The university had four faculties for theology, law, medicine and philosophy including the seven liberal arts. The great auditorium, the Juleum Novum was erected in 1592.In the late 18th century, Helmstedt lost popularity to newer universities, such as the University of Göttingen. It was closed in 1810 on initiative of Johannes von Müller, director of public instruction in the Kingdom of Westphalia.
Untertitel: Duchy of Brunswick, University of Göttingen, Johannes von Müller, Johannes von Müller. Sprache: Englisch.
Erscheinungsdatum: Oktober 2011
Seitenanzahl: 84 Seiten