Microwave Active Circuit Analysis and Design
This book teaches the skills and knowledge required by today¿s RF and microwave engineer in a concise, structured and systematic way. Reflecting modern developments in the field, this book focuses on active circuit design covering the latest devices and design techniques.
From electromagnetic and transmission line theory and S-parameters through to amplifier and oscillator design, techniques for low noise and broadband design; This book focuses on analysis and design including up to date material on MMIC design techniques.
With this book you will:
- Learn the basics of RF and microwave circuit analysis and design, with an emphasis on active circuits, and become familiar with the operating principles of the most common active system building blocks such as amplifiers, oscillators and mixers
- Be able to design transistor-based amplifiers, oscillators and mixers by means of basic design methodologies
- Be able to apply established graphical design tools, such as the Smith chart and feedback mappings, to the design RF and microwave active circuits
- Acquire a set of basic design skills and useful tools that can be employed without recourse to complex computer aided design
- Structured in the form of modular chapters, each covering a specific topic in a concise form suitable for delivery in a single lecture
- Emphasis on clear explanation and a step-by-step approach that aims to help students to easily grasp complex concepts
- Contains tutorial questions and problems allowing readers to test their knowledge
- An accompanying website containing supporting material in the form of slides and software (MATLAB) listings
- Unique material on negative resistance oscillator design, noise analysis and three-port design techniques
- Covers the latest developments in microwave active circuit design with new approaches that are not covered elsewhere
PortraitIzzat Darwazeh is the Chair of Communications Engineering in University College London (UCL) and head of UCL's Communications and Information Systems Group. He is an electrical engineering graduate of the University of Jordan and holds the MSc and PhD degrees from the University of Manchester in the UK. He has been teaching and active in microwave circuit design and communications circuits and systems research since 1991. He has published over 250 scientific papers and is the co-editor of the 1995 IEE book on Analogue Fibre Communications and of the 2008 Elsevier-Newness book on Electrical Engineering. He is also the co-author (with Luis Moura) of the 2005 book on Linear Circuit Analysis and Modelling. He currently teaches mobile and wireless communications and circuit design and his current research interests are in ultra high-speed microwave circuits and in wireless and optical communication systems. In addition to his teaching, Professor Darwazeh acts as a consultant to various engineering firms and government, financial and legal entities in the UK and worldwide. Professor Darwazeh is a Chartered Engineer and Fellow the Institute of Engineering and Technology (FIET).
"Microwave Active Circuit Analysis and Design is an excellent book for final-year undergraduate, postgraduate and early-stage graduate engineers. Having taught Microwave Technology and Radio-Frequency Electronics for over 20 years, this is the closest book to my taught lecture courses. The contents combines all the important topics, from first principles, and in a holistic way. I will certainly recommend this book to my students." --Stepan Lucyszyn PhD, DSc, FIEEE, FIET, FInstP, FEMA, Reader (Associate Professor) in Millimetre-wave Electronics, Director of Centre for Terahertz Science and Engineering, Department of Electrical and Electronic Engineering, Imperial College London.
"This text provides a comprehensive introduction to the subject of microwave electronics, taking the reader from the basics of Maxwell¿s equations and the Telegrapher¿s equations, through Smith Chart, network design and the use of S-parameters and finally illustrating and describing microwave circuits. This book will also serve as a valuable reference text for practitioners of the art of microwave circuit design." -Prof. Rob Sloan, Professor of Millimetre-wave Electronics & Royal Society Industrial Fellow, School E&EE, University of Manchester, UK.
"This book takes the reader step-by-step through this complex subject in a concise, well-structured, and highly systematic way. Clive Poole and Izzat Darwazeh have succeeded in their goal of making this textbook not only informative but also enjoyable to read. I recommend this textbook to all who wish to explore this burgeoning field of study, whether they be undergraduate or postgraduate students, industry engineers or academic researchers." -Dr. Giovanni Crupi, BIOMORF Department, University of Messina, Messina, Italy.