BeschreibungIt was the British music critic Neville Cardus, writing on Debussy, who remarked how "the great sea of Wagner threatened to overwhelm the world of nineteenth century music". 1 There is an analogy in mid-nineteenth century agriculture where the great sea of Justus von Liebig developed a tidal wave which to this day conceals much of the original work and merit of others in the same field. Not only the general public but even students of agriculture may, or may not, recall the names of Persoz, Kuhlmann and Ville in France, Thaer and Sprengel in Germany, or even Lawes and Gilbert in England, to mention a few of them, whose pioneer works were not pub licised in the same didactic and polemical manner as those of Liebig. Among such pioneers was Jean Baptiste Boussingault (1802-1887) whose funda mental researches contributed to the emergence of agriculture from an empirical corpus of facts to the status of a science. Yet apart from his work in animal and crop science he also engaged in metallurgical investigations, biology and pure chemistry. The scientific world was already approaching the end of an era in which it was possible to embrace several disciplines adequately. With increasing specialisation, institutionalism and profeSsionalism in science the polymath was a gradually disappearing species.
1. The Beginnings.-
2. Alsace and the New World.-
3. South America.-
4. The Great Volcanoes of the Andes.-
5. Paris, Lyon and Paris Again.-
6. The Experimental Farm and Crop Rotation.-
7. The Experimental Farm and Animal Nutrition.-
8. Conservatoire des Arts et Métiers.-
9. The Conservatoire and Politics.-
10. The Plant and Nitrogen.-
11. The Nitrification of the Soil.-
12. Education and Hygiene.-
13. Photosynthesis, or the Plant and Carbon Dioxide.-
14. The Metallurgical Period.-
15. The Last Years.-
16. Assessment.- Postscript.- Appendix 1. Syllabus of Lectures in Agricultural Chemistry, 1862-63.- Appendix 2. Syllabus of Lectures in Agricultural and Analytical Chemistry, 1873-74.- Abbreviations.- Notes.- Boussingault's Scientific Papers.- Works of Boussingault Published In Book Form.- Documentary Material.- List Of Works Consulted.- Index of Names.- Index of Subjects.
Untertitel: Chemist and Agriculturist. 'Chemists and Chemistry'. 1984. Auflage. Book. Sprache: Englisch.
Erscheinungsdatum: April 1984
Seitenanzahl: 302 Seiten