Racism: A Very Short Introduction
Lieferbar innert 2 Wochen
BeschreibungFrom subtle discrimination in everyday life, to horrors like lynching in the Old South, cultural imperialism, and "ethnic cleansing," racism exists in many different forms, in almost every facet of society. Despite civil rights movements and other attempts at progress, racial prejudices and
stereotypes remain deeply embedded in Western culture. Racism takes a frank and objective look at why these notions exist. It explores how racism has come to be so firmly established, and looks at how race, ethnicity, and xenophobia are related. This book incorporates the latest research to
demystify the subject of racism and explore its history, science, and culture. It sheds light not only on how racism has evolved since its earliest beginnings, but also explores the numerous embodiments of racism, highlighting the paradox of its survival, despite the scientific discrediting of the
notion of 'race' with the latest advances in genetics. As encompassing as it is concise, Racism is a valuable guide to one of the world's most destructive problems.
1. Racism and racists: some conundrums ;
2. Fear of the dark? : blacks, Jews and barbarians ;
3. Beyond the pale: scientific racism, the nation and the politics of colour ;
4. Imperialism, eugenics and the Holocaust ;
5. The case against scientific racism ;
6. New racisms? ;
7. Racist identities: ambivalence, contradiction and commitment ;
8. Beyond institutional racism: 'race', class and gender in the USA and Britain ; Conclusions: prospects for a post-racial future ; References ; Further Reading
PortraitAli Rattansi is a prolific writer on race, postcolonialism, orientalism, and cultural imperialism. Currently Visiting Professor of Sociology at City University, London, he has spent much of his academic career studying the concept of racism. His publications include Racism, Modernity and Identity: On the Western Front co-edited with S. Westwood (1994); 'Race', Culture and Difference with James Donald (1992); and Racism and Anti-racism: Inequalities, Opportunities and Policies with P. Braham and R. Skellington (1992).
Untertitel: 'Very Short Introductions'. 8 halftones. Sprache: Englisch.
Verlag: Oxford University Press
Erscheinungsdatum: März 2007
Seitenanzahl: 208 Seiten